Edgehill was the final home of a prominent local named Albert J. Webb, who was born in 1851 and came to Bairnsdale as a young man to manage the Bank of Australasia until 1904. He owned land at nearby Hillside, and in 1901 he purchased a champion bull from Sir Rupert Clarke from which he developed one of the greatest shorthorn studs in the country. Mr Webb's success raised the profile of the township of Bairnsdale throughout Australia at an early time in the nation's history. (Ref: John Adams, "Path Among The Years, A History Of The Shire Of Bairnsdale", 1987, p.113)
Edgehill is valued for its architectural features, including a high gambrel roof design with projecting gable wing, skillion verandah, canted bay window expressed in the roof as a hip around which the skillion verandah extends, exposed rafters, stained-glass side and fan lights at the main entry, and unusual bracket designs abutting doric verandah posts. (Ref: Heritage Overlay, East Gippsland Shire Council)
Due to its historical significance, Edgehill has been classified as a heritage property by the East Gippsland Shire Council to ensure its preservation for future generations.
Additional information and records can be found in the Historical Museum and Regional Resource Centre, Macarthur Street, Bairnsdale.
2 Grant Street